Thursday, August 5, 2010

Before and After - Estate Sale Tray

I was able to get some crafty goodness in recently. I was combing through a neighborhood estate sale and found this tray long ago abandoned in the corner of the home's basement. It was dusty and dirty but had good bones. I snatched it up for $3.00 and knew it had the potential to shine.

Here it is after. I spray painted it glossy white with some paint I already had on hand, removed the old embroidery and replaced it with some fabric from Joann's. I really love it now. It might be one of my favorite thrifty remakes.

I often wonder what the previous owner of this tray would think. Would she (or he) be appalled at the fact that I discarded the embroidery and painted it the complete opposite color? Or that it has more of a modern feel as opposed to country rustic? Or would she be happy that a long forgotten part of her home had found new life in another's home and was being well taken care of? Estate sales in particular always have me pondering these questions. Do you think the same way?


11 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

I always think that too! I often consider the people who previously owned a favorite thrift store find. Especially quilts and fabric and embroidery hoops...you know, other crafty people...I love what you did with the tray, Karla!
~S

Dolores said...

I betcha the 'old owners' are happy that the tray has a new life, and that it looks so beautiful...... I love the transformation.... it looks great!!!

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Karla I think the previous owner would love to see it made over and still being used instead of thrown in the trash. It looks fabulous love the fabric
Alison

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Karla,

That tray looks fantastic. You did a great job. I get a little creeped out at Estate Sales, knowing that someone has past away and their family is selling off all of their unwanted possessions. I will have to do that someday with my parents things. I KNOW that my MOM would love the idea of someone having something of hers and doing something fun with it. So enjoy your new creation and keep finding those goodies!
Tammy

Sonia said...

Hi Karla,
Its been a while since I been by. I love the tray make over. How is your little princess? Mine is already 3 months old... I can't believe how time flies. She is so much fun and spoiled rotten by her brothers...

Hugs!!
Sonia

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

You did a fabulous job! Love the new tray! Thanks for your visit and all your kind words, glad you liked my hallway :)
XO
Kristin

Merci-Notes said...

I wonder what their life was like, what was important to them and yes...would they mind a change.

Glenys said...

I think they would be happy. Great work by the way.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Love what you did with the tray Karla. Better to be made over than rejected and left in a basement.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Jeanie said...

So glad you are getting crafty again -- it's hard to find time, isn't it -- and with Chelsea, probably all the more so. I love it. It looks much fresher and livelier! And, like you -- I'd wonder what the original owners would think. But you know what -- doesn't matter! It's terrific!

Lulu said...

Hi Sugar Bear,

What a makeover. The tray is beautiful!

Love ya,
Shelley

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity