Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A First Birthday Party

We celebrated Chelsea's first birthday this past weekend with a party at a local restaurant (March + my house + everyone one needs to invite to a first b-day = not enough room for our guests). It was quite nice to not have to worry about set-up and clean-up! I did want to personalize the party as much as possible. I made the above birthday hat for the occassion.


I bought the kids these party favors. I had a photo uploaded to this post but it seems to have disappeared!


I made goodie bags filled with candy. I originally wanted to use circle labels but time lapsed and I didn't order them so the old standby rectangles had to do the trick!

I had this empty frame and just made the sign on the computer and used a rubber stamp and colored markers for the flowers.

We purchased the main birthday party cake but I decided to make the cake she would squish. I'm not much of a cake decorator and too much of a perfectionist so Jeff bought a small store bought cake instead and we did not use this cake. This ended up being a good plan as the pink icing got all messed up during transport to the restaurant.

I had some extra chiffon and used it to decorate her high chair.

Not the best photo, I'm looking a bit weathered by this point! But I wanted to show you a photo of the skirt Chelsea was wearing. I made it! I'm very proud of this as I am not a seamstress by any stretch of the imagination. My in-laws gave me a sewing machine for Christmas and Jeff gave me a bunch of supplies. I purchased the Can Can Skirt pattern from Made. The chiffon I picked doesn't give quite enough of a color variation and there are certainly many mistakes but the ruffles hide a lot! If I attempted this skirt again I would match the base fabric to one of the chiffon colors.

Here is the birthday girl digging in! She had a great time smashing the cake though didn't really eat any of it. A few licks of frosting and she was happy.
Tomorrow is her actual birthday. Jeff and I are taking the day off from work and going to the zoo - more birthday photos to come!


13 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Awwww your little munchkin is ONE already! I remember the last time I saw you on the Cape... you were pregnant and didn't know it yet (but having been there myself, I detected that late morning yawn might mean something!) lol Hard to believe you went through 9 months of pregnancy and the baby is already 1 year old!!! Hope to meet that little precious bundle sometime soon! Your party hat is precious!!!

Jeanie said...

Hi,

Hey -- check out your blog! The pix seem to be overlapping your other posts! I could see the adorable hat just great, but the others are a bit of a muddle. Maybe you're working on something now -- not sure and I'll check it again -- but take a look! I want to see the WHOLE THING!

Lori said...

Karla, your baby Chelsea is SO beautiful!!! i got tears in my eyes when i saw the picture of her digging into her birthday cake...she is just a doll:) i love that little skirt you made for her, it is precious!!!

Natasha Burns said...

Happy Birthday beautiful princess! I can't believe she had her first birthday already! Karla you always think of the details, and that you didn't have to set up or clean up, that is just brilliant!!! xo

Wanda said...

She is darling and the skirt isn't bad either. :) She is too cute and it looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sugar Bear,

It was truly a great day! Happy 1st Birthday to my Sugar Cub!

Love ya,
Shelley

Dolores said...

Looks like a very happy and pretty birthday party for your precious little girl!!!

Parties at restaurants are so wonderful. Leave the cleaning and cooking to them, but your personal touches are so special.

Your pictures and text are overlapping. Hoping you can straighten them.

Hugs,
dolores

Sugar Bear said...

Thanks to those pointing out the text overlap. The post appears normal on my computer as well as my work computer. Hmmm. Not sure what that is all about!
Karla

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh Karla what sweet pics. of Chelsea, love the squished cake.
Hope you have fun at the zoo too!
Alison

Dolores said...

The pictures are GREAT.... and NO more overlapping...... the post looks great!!!
Happy Birthday to your precious baby girl!
Hugs,

kandeland said...

she's sooo cute! Happy Birthday Chelsea! xo

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Can't believe Chelsea is already 1year old. How quickly that year flew! Hope she had a fabulous day.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Jenn said...

Wow, you went ALL out. YAY I love it!!! What a wonderful first birthday! Thanks so much for sharing her special day with us. =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity