Sunday, April 1, 2007

Easter Dinner

Good afternoon all! I hope everyone is enjoying a take it easy Sunday before the crazy week starts up again. I myself was up at 5:30 a.m. to go to the local flea market. Hubby and I quickly realized something was amiss when we pulled into an empty field! We then noticed the sign that said the opening has been delayed until April 15. I was so mad! I am so not a morning person and I wasted a perfectly good sleep late Sunday for nothing! Oh well, I guess I'll just be all the more ready to go on the 15th! In other breaking news, I have finally figured out Easter Sunday Dinner. We are going to have Carrot Vichyssoise, Turkey Brined in Grapefruit and Orange Juice with Brown Sugar (I discovered brining last year and it was a big hit!), Paula Deen's Squash Casserole, and Sweet Potatoes. For the all important dessert we are having Ricotta Pie, Chocolate Bread Pudding with Spiced Cream, Chocolate Dipped Fruit, and Susie Q's Bunny Cupcakes for the kids.

The Carrot Vichyssoise is simply heavenly and I wanted to share the recipe with you (courtesy of my good friend Judy).

Carrot Vichyssoise (makes 12 servings)

3T Butter
1 1/2 lbs. Carrots peeled and sliced
2 Leeks (white part only) sliced
1 3/4 lbs. Boiled Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1t Minced Fresh Thyme or 1/2t dried
7 cups Chicken Stock or Canned Broth
1/2 cup Dry Vermouth
2 cups Whipping Cream
Salt and White Pepper
Fresh Lemon Juice
Minced Fresh Thyme

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add carrots and leeks and cook until leeks are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in potatoes and 1t thyme. Add stock and vermouth. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Puree soup in batches in food processor. Return to saucepan. Add cream. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until warmed through. Garnish with minced fresh thyme and serve.

Enjoy!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karla - love the new look of your blog! It looks wonderful. And your menu for Easter sounds amazing. Boy, it really is making me hungry, and the desserts - man, I need a snack. Even though it was annoying that you got up at 5:30am for nothing, it is a bit nice to know that things like that do happen to other people :o) Also, I bet it was nice to have a longer day - maybe you got to take a nap later. My best to you.

allie from minneapolis
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Susie Q said...

This recipe sounds wonderful! I have just copied it and we will try it out!
Grace is thrilled to see "her" recipe for cupcakes on your blog! We are making more Saturday.
I hope you got to take a little nap after that early wake up!!
Have a sweet week okay?
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious! Not sure what we're having - maybe we'll invite ourselves over to your house, Lol!!
Bummer about the flea market! You can come shopping at my house if you want. I have loads of crap to get rid of or something!

Jenn said...

OH YUMM! Is it a formal party or more casual? Are there a lot of people or a few? I know, I'm a glutton for details..haha, so much so in fact, that I am having a drawing on my blog exactly about this type of thing!

Hugs,
Jenn

Jodi Ohl said...

Okay so the next question is, what time is dinner and do you need me to bring anything?? LOL

I haven't even thought about what to make yet...things aren't going to be the same this year as in the past so I just haven't had the gumption to even plan yet. I bet get my show on the road though!! Tick tick tick! All the more reason to come over to your house!!

Lucy

FrenchGardenHouse said...

oh, your blog looks amazing!! AND, more importantly, thank you for sharing your Carrot Vichyssoise recipe, since I just realized it's almost Easter and I am having "it"~it's great to get a highly recommended recipe!

I can't wait to make this. Happy Easter Karla!

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Your menu sounds so yummy! I am not such a great cook so I always admire women who do!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity