Friday, July 6, 2007

Boxes, Boxes, and More Boxes

I hope everyone had a wonderful, fun, and safe 4th of July. It was a pretty miserable day weather wise in CT. Overcast in the morning and raining all afternoon/evening. No fireworks but we should be able to see some this weekend. I decided to use some of the down time to work on a few projects. The first is a box for my aunt. Her 50th birthday is coming up this weekend. My uncle said no gifts for her party unless we wanted to bring a gag gift. I personally am not into gag gifts, plus didn't have time to even look for one so I decided to create this box to hold her cards and other special mementos of the day. I used a combination of vintage wallpaper, vintage sheet music, and a sweet vintage birthday card and of course threw in some glitter!


The interior of the box. I'm running very low on my paper stash so I used quite a bit of different kinds but I think it adds to the character! I was having trouble getting the interior sides covered properly so I decided to trim them in rick rack and highlight the original purpose of the box.

Later in the day we went to a picnic, I actually sat outside for a bit in the rain, under the patio umbrella but then the water started seeping in! This is a little box I made as a hostess gift for the picnic hostess.A few gift tags.
Last but not least is a craft project by my friend Judy. Her son is getting married in France next month (how wonderful! The reception is in a chateau!) and she is having a "state side" reception for the happy couple in September. She made this box to hold cards. It started out as a plain cardboard box and top and with very minimal guidance from me, she created this lovely keepsake.

Have a wonderful day dear blogging friends!


23 comments:

Jenn said...

Karla, you are so talented! WOW, are you going to be putting any boxes in your Etsy shop? How much time do you spend on one of these treasures? Your aunt and friends will be blessed with these!! I can imagine the warm glow they will feel everytime they look at them~

Jenn

cammy said...

Love Love Love your boxes!! You are inspiring me to cut some of my vintage wallpaper that I have been hoarding.

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Those are all so gorgeous! You really should put these kinds of boxes in your etsy shop - you are SO creative! I love the one you made for your aunt as it is so personalized and beautiful! I'm also very proud to be the owner of one of your pretty boxes - it sits in a spot of honor in my bedroom!

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

You are so talented!! I love everything that you made, especially the little round yellow box!!
Isn't it funny that you were also thinking about childhood toys, and that you also had a Snoopy dog!!

Design.by.Kina said...

You are so creative! I love these.

Have a good day to, Karla!

~Kina

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Beautiful boxes!
Who needs a gift? The box is the gift!

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

That box is lovely, and what a great idea for your aunt!
:)

Erin Earls said...

you got a lot done! That is a totally cute box. Wonderfully done!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Karla, these are all so wonderful! You have such a creative eye, I love how everything is put together.

Your aunt will adore this box! just stunning!
Lidy

Anonymous said...

They're all so pretty! I wanted to make sure you got my e-mail about the trader joe's bags. I'd be glad to pick you up a few, if you still need them :o) Just let me know!

Anonymous said...

Goodness! That's some mighty pretty things you've been making!!!! Even the little tags... aww, so precious!

Vicki Chrisman said...

BEAUTIFUL projects my friend, just beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Karla, bravo!! Or, I guess it would be brava. At any rate, you did such a wonderful job on the boxes and gift tags. Wow!! Just love them. I wish I could take a class from you. Again, great job.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

deb said...

Oh Karla! Just beautiful all of it.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I agree, gag gifts are not fun, but a wonderful hand crafted gift like that is something she will always treasure!

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

I love all of your gorgeous things you made Karla! You are so talented! When I made my box I had a hard time with the inside too... I kept gluing different papers inside and taking them out..lol!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Those are all great! I've been dreaming of some projects like these but haven't worked them into the 'ol schedule yet LOL.

Gina said...

Woah, my jaw is on the floor, every picture I scrolled down, it was just, wow, woah, wow, woah. Amazing, you have a super style.

Lallee said...

That was a beautiful idea for your aunt. And look what an inspiration you were to your friend with her wedding box!

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Karla, your boxes are amazing! You should add some of those to your Etsy shop!!! Fab!!!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

How nice of you to buy one of my cottage collage kits! I have it packed up and ready to send to you, but made a little special treat for you and have to wait for the glue to dry before I mail it.

Merci-Notes said...

Karla, They are all so very very lovely!
Hugs,
Mary

Natasha Burns said...

LOVE your boxes Karla!!! They are truly fantastic!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity