Thursday, July 12, 2007

Indiana Jones

Exciting stuff brewing in Connecticut the last few weeks. Steven Spielberg has been in town filming scenes for the new Indiana Jones movie on the Yale University campus. Yup - this means he brought along his good friend Harrison Ford as well. A good friend of mine works at Yale and brought me on a little tour of the sets last week (she had a brush with all the stars including Harrison's best gal Calista Flockhart). Unfortunately, it was the day they were packing up so no stars, and no action shots but the one thing I did see was all of these wonderful store windows. These photos were taken along a street bordering the Yale campus. All of the store windows were turned into 1950s era store windows. The first few shots are from a store that is actually a print shop but became a general store during filming. Above is a broom display on the sidewalk.


Some good 'ol fashioned Brillo to get those dishes nice and clean.


Most of the stores were open (at least some days) during the filming, they posted their real store information in the windows. This store is really Ten Thousand Villages, a great shop that sells items from developing countries and passes the proceeds back to the countries. during filming, it became a sort of grocery store.


Not the best photos with the glass reflecting but still lots of fun!


Anyone need some pantyhose or rollers?



This store was made to look like a tailor shop. Can you spot me in the below photo? Hint - I'm wearing green.


The last store on the block is a women's boutique that was made into a music store. My only question - was the electric guitar around in the 1950s?

Cammy at Freckled Farm has tagged me for 8 random things. Here goes:

1. I eat cereal almost every single morning (and sometimes evening). It can be something sugary like Lucky Charms or something more healthy like Bran Flakes or Cheerios.

2. I have a tendency to dump my husband's soda/juice/water before he is finished with it. I try to keep things clutter free and if he leaves his glass out too long - I assume he is finished.

3. I keep some sort of night light on in the hallway when it is time for bed. I'm not afraid of the dark, I just like to be able to see if I have to get up in the middle of the night.

4. I do not own a "real" ipod. I have the Dell version - a Dell DJ. More recently, my boss gave me an ipod Shuffle.

5. I love boy bands. My musical tastes are really all over the map from alternative rock, standards, pop, jazz, Broadway - but I always have a soft spot for the sugary sweet boy bands. I think it stems from my teenage obsession with the New Kids on the Block.

6. Spring is my favorite season. Perfect weather - not too hot and not too cold and the promise of the lazy days of summer ahead (though they haven't been too lazy this year!).

7. I still live in my childhood hometown. I don't know if we will ultimately stay here but for now I love it.

8. I threw the discus on my high school track team. I was a skinny little thing and didn't fit the type at all - perhaps why I was really bad at it!


15 comments:

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oh that Indiana Jones movie will be well received, won't it? People love those movies! That was a fun thing for you to get to do.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Wouldn't it be fun to be the person who got to set up those windows and find all the stuff???

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

I love the shop photos!! And news of Harrison Ford-even better!! Funnily enough, I still live in my childhood birth place too!!

Perfectly Lovely said...

Found you today via sophie honey suckle, great blog..What a fabulous day you must of had, I would of loved to of had a look around!

Jennifer.

Natasha Burns said...

Great fun Karla! How exciting for you! Love those shots, what I would give to spend a day in the 1950s... and saw you there in the green, took me a while though!
Yes they had electric guitars in the 1950s. My dad has an original 1961 Fender guitar, it's so so so cool and it wasn't the first they made, just looked up Wikipedia and the first Fenders were from 1950-1951, and the first ever electric guitar recording was 1938!!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

How fun~ The whole town was involved!
I love you list of things... Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love your wierd things list! I live in the town I grew up in too! I left here nad there, but my house is now less than a mile to the one my parents still live in! I love Harrison Ford and those window sets are so much fun!! Thanks for the photos!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what FUN!! It's like window shopping without having to get dressed to go in public. Lol.
I'm loving' that faux brick backdrop.

Anonymous said...

Great photos and it was interesting reading more about you in 8 Random Things...this tag has certainly been flying around this week!

You have a lovely blog.

Marie x

Renee said...

Too much fun, I love indiana Jones and I can't wait for the new movie I hope it is as good as the rest. You'll have to keep us posted on upcoming news!

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for the new Indiana Jones movie to come out.

Erin Earls said...

How fun. Your own sneak peak. I really enjoyed the other 3, and can't wait to see this one. It must have been a little like stepping back in time.

Susie Q said...

Oh what fun!! I love the Indy films...look forward to this one!

You live in such a beautiful part of the world...and I see why you would want top stay there! I am back where I grew up now. : )


Hugs,
Sue

Design.by.Kina said...

I liked getting to read your random questions... you're adorable!

Unknown said...

I love all the photos from the set. Wow, I would love stores like that. And having an old fountain shop where the wear the paper hats and serve malts and burgers. That would be great. Also, totally enjoyed hearin about your 8 facts. I love getting to know people better!

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity